Be Thou an Example

This is intended to be a Devotional Topic for us here at Christward Forums.

Purpose:
To strengthen, encourage, and give Biblical instruction

Plan:
This is a Devotional Topic.
It is NOT a discussion, nor is this intended
for a debate.
Furthermore, I am NOT trying to pick a fight with anyone. Or provoke animosity.

Procedure:

1. I will endeavor to beseech our Lord Jesus Christ through prayer.

2. I will exercise due diligence to study and follow The Holy Spirit

3. I will execute posts under this topic regularly for you to read and think about.

I have a burden for the youth and desire to stand in the gap for you.

Perhaps you have friends who are not on Christward Forums…(come to think of it…WHY NOT? )
you may want to send the link to someone to read when I post.

@Bibleman1611

15 Likes

This is awesome, @Bibleman1611!!
Much needed and welcomed!
Can’t wait for the first post.

10 Likes

My first post under this topic will be taken from:

1 Timothy 4:12, “Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”

This is the verse in which I have taken the Topic Title.

There is a joke illustrating teens and their parents…
'A teenage young man goes into a store to be fitted for a new suit. He picks out a modern style of suit and allows the Taylor to measure and make notes for a custom fit. The Taylor asks, “How do you like the way you look?” The young man replies, “I LOVE IT! But…if my Parents like it, can I bring it back?”

There are jokes galore about teens who do things to spite others. There are stories and quotes from notable Celebrities and Musicians that either hint or explicitly demonstrate teen rebellion.

Such as a famous quote from Marlon Brando who starred in a Movie called, “The Wild One”, he was asked, “Hey Johnny, what are you rebelling against?” His reply was, “What have you got?”

James Dean starred in a Movie called, “Rebel Without a Cause”.

Now, these are “just” Hollywood Movies…but, during their era of the 1950’s teen rebellion was very high. In 2019, there are still rebels who will kick against rule, authority, or just plain doing what someone else wants them to do. Even if it their Parents.

Another joke tells of a youngster running up and down in a pew at church. His Mother tried to gently get him to stop and sit down, to no avail. Finally, she grabbed him and popped him real good and sat him down. He didn’t move. After about 10 minutes, he looked at his Mother and said, “I’m still running on the inside”.

In consideration of the I Timothy 4:12, let us look at how a Teen should live.

I. Live your Life in View of Others!
“Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers,…"
A. Do not allow your years of youth to be despised.
1. Truly it is up to you. You have the choice to live a life where others will despise your youth, or live your life in view of how others see you.
I am not speaking of your personality, or individualism. I am speaking more of responsibility, character, attitude, and reactions to life’s issues and problems.
While developing your identity in society, God wants you to identify with Him…not your peers.
Think about the three Hebrew Children in Daniel 3. Consider Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. King Nebuchadnezzar put is image out in front of the people. He desired folks to identify with him! He wanted them to listen to his music. He wanted them to do what he wanted them to do. Bow down, worship, follow him. He had all the Dignitaries there…Local and National. All the people identified with King Nebuchadnezzar and their peers.

ALL, EXCEPT SHADRACH, MESHACH, AND ABEDNEGO!
These three didn’t bend, bow, or boogie to the King’s music and methods. No matter what their peers did…these three stood with God. They identified with God. They were examples of the believers!

Daniel is another young man who stood with God in times of identification.

Think of David as a young man who was left to feed his father’s sheep, while his brothers went off to battle. Even after he was anointed King by Samuel, he still submitted his life to his father! With the anointing upon him, he willfully stayed obedient, submissive, and pleasing to his father. See how his life turned out! Taking down Goliath! Even taking his head off of him!

I would say that David got a head in life!

a.  Living your life for yourself will ultimately drive you to pride, arrogance, and the evil way.  
           b.  Living for yourself will bring friction between you and your parents and others. 
           c.  Living for yourself will bring misery, despair, depression, feelings of failure, feelings of not able to do anything right…what a horrible way to live your life. 
           d.  Living for yourself will bring disgust towards other people.  You will complain, mumble, grumble and be exasperated towards others.  

I wish to admonish you today…live your life in view of others and you will inherently live a life of joy, satisfaction, accomplishment, courage, and peace.

Take your youthful years and make them an example of the believers!

1. Practice planning ahead. When you have a task to accomplish, make plans to accomplish it. A plan will not work, if you do not work your plan. This includes going to bed when you need to rise early the next morning.

2. Hold yourself accountable. What if you were allowed to set your own life schedule? What would that look like? If you had liberty to schedule your school work, sports, entertainment, musical instruction, socialization, etc.

We have 24 hours in a day. Absolutely we need to eat and rest. 8 hours of sleep should be scheduled in, and then schedule your 16 hours of awake time efficiently and effectively.

BE THOU AN EXAMPLE!

12 Likes

1 Timothy 4:12, “Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”

We considered LIVING OUR LIVES IN THE VIEW OF OTHERS in our first post.

Let us consider LIVING OUR LIVES IN VIEW OF OFFERINGS

In light of our verse “…be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”

What do we have to offer in this world?
The Answer: OURSELVES! Offer your self.
Romans 12: 1, 2, "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Offering ourselves to God in His economy of this society.

I. In Word
This is what we say. What we communicate one to another.
Your heart cannot be seen. But, what comes out of your mouth? What comes out at your fingertips when you write through a computer or write with a writing utensil?
An old Mountain Proverb says, “Whatever is in the well, well be brought up in the bucket”
Interpretation? Well, when one would draw water from a dug well, they would do so by lowering a bucket into the well and bringing the water up. What was in the bucket was an example of what was in the well.

Another way to say it…“If it wasn’t in the well, it would not have come out in the bucket”

What is in your heart? It will come out in what you say, what you write, how you communicate.

Christward Forum Members, take some time to reflect on what you write about here. Take some time to consider what you post.

Do consider that just because someone is a member here, does not make them a Christian. Just like going to church doesn’t make you a Christian.

Are we examples to the believers in our word?

Psalms 19:14, “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.”

Proverbs 15:4, “A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.”

Psalms 14:1, “Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.”

Proverbs 18:21, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.”

What we post here in our community does reflect what is in our hearts, what we truly are, and how we truly believe.

Are you an example of the believers, in word?

10 Likes

Hi again,
To continue our Devotion on this verse…
Dedicating your youth to being an example of the believers is priority for a Child of God.

So, just how do you present yourself as “an example”?

1. IN WORD
    This is what you talk about. What permeates through your lips? In the case of Christward Forum or other written media…what you write about.
    When you write and post on this Forum, would your parents approve? What about your Pastor or Youth Pastor? What about God. Is He Glorified?
    Keep in your heart that our position as a Christian is to bring honor and glory to The Lord Jesus Christ.

2. IN CONVERSATION

CONVERSATION , noun

1. General course of manners; behavior; deportment; especially as it respects morals.

Let your conversation be as becometh the gospel. Philippians 1:27.

Be ye holy in all manner of conversation 1 Peter 1:15.

In respect to the definition, it is clear that our “walk” is highly revealing of what we truly are.

Have you ever heard this…‘people cannot hear your talk, because your walk speaks louder than your talk’?

What you engage your life in dictates what you really and truly are. What should be concerning to us is, does our ‘walk’ back up our ‘talk’? Proclaiming to be a Christian is more than just a profession.

2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

Do you only have a ‘profession’ of Christ…of being a Christian? Or are you truly a New Creature?

Refrain from comparing yourselves with the other teens on Christward Forum. Refrain from comparing yourself to other teens at your Church. You need to compare yourself with The Bible. With the Believers in the Word of God. Compare your life and your heart with Jesus Christ.

The Lord Jesus Christ requires His children to live sacrificially, holy and acceptable unto God.

Romans 12:1, "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

BE THOU AN EXAMPLE

12 Likes