Fishing 101

This is the new topic I created for one of my favorite things to do. Fishing! How many of you guys fish? What do you fish for and how? This should be interesting to see how it is done where you are from.

5 Likes

So I cannot make a fishing topic without including my favorite rig for bass fishing. The texas rig.texasrig This is my all time favorite rig. Simple, yet effective. As they say, sometimes the best things are the simple ones. The texas rig is the embodiment of this quote. In fact, my own brother caught this absolute lunker on a texas rigged worm. The fish from the kayak is the one I am referring to. The one he is holding is not near as big.

5 Likes

What’s the biggest one you’ve ever caught?

2 Likes

I don’t really know. I never had a scale to measure the fish, until a year or so ago. I know my biggest catfish is 3 lbs. I had hooked what would have been my biggest largemouth bass on the same day those pictures were taken, but when I went to adjust the drag, it hooked off. Just to guess, my biggest bass was about 3 lbs. Not a monster by any means, but I only started really getting into bass fishing a few years ago. About a month or two ago, we began to fish in a new lake that we had never tried before and that is where my brother and I have gotten a lot of good strikes and fish. I am optimistic about this new lake, because it is seldom fished for bass, that is because there is not a very good boat ramp. It is just a muddy inlet, but it is still big enough for a kayak. One day I was down there and a man told me his personal best bass came out of here weighing 11 lbs. As bass come that is and absolute trophy fish.

2 Likes

An 11 lb bass looks like this one.unnamed Don’t worry, it’s just a google stock photo, not any relation to me. :wink:

3 Likes

Well, here’s to your future trophy bass. May it be caught and mounted with glory. Raises teacup.

4 Likes

I totally think that my new largest bass will come from that awesome lake. It’s just such a good place to fish!

Who all here fishes?

2 Likes

I’ve fished about twice in my life, and didn’t catch anything both times. I’d really like to do it again, though. It’s a nice pastime.

1 Like

That’s exactly me :joy:

1 Like

Awesome. When I was little, there were a few times that I went fishing at a local fishing derby and caught a few catfish, but it wasn’t until a few years ago when my aunt taught me how to bass fish that I really came to love fishing. Catfishing is laid back, and you don’t often catch more than one or two. Bluegill fishing is a ton of fun, but if you are looking for a good fighting fish, you will not get much satisfaction from bluegill. But bass fishing, that is something of an entire new tier. Bass are the apex predators of the lake ecosystem, and in order to catch them, you can use anything from live bait to hard plastic baits, and even soft plastic baits. Usually soft plastics are the most effective baits for catching largemouth.

2 Likes

Caught my new personal best largemouth bass today. It was the biggest fish I have ever caught! It weighed 5 lbs 1.6 oz. So about 5lbs 2 oz if you are rounding up.

2 Likes

At first I used a texas rigged worm, but I had so many fish get off I switched to a Googan Squad bandito bug. I was skeptical at first, but I had heard they worked well. Tried it, and it caught me the bass pictured above. This is the bait for anyone who is curious.

2 Likes

Today I did something I rarely do, I actually kept some of the fish, and they made a pretty good meal.

7 Likes

I don’t fish, but my family is into it. My parents enjoy trout fishing using PowerBait and flies. My grandparents are more into saugeye fishing, and they have an electronic fish finder on their boat.

Unfortunately, I have found myself largely allergic to fish, which has reduced my motivation to take up the sport. I can’t eat them without setting my throat on fire.

1 Like

Just don’t swallow the bones. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The meat alone is enough to make me green around the gills. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Wow, that sounds pretty serious!

1 Like