Witnessing

what should you do when you want to witness to someone, but they throw everything you did before you were saved in your face?

12 Likes

The first and, I think, the only time I ever witnessed to someone in voice was my previous best friend more than a decade ago. After I told her the “good news of Christ” she looked me in the eyes and said, “I don’t care/believe about that stuff.”

Haven’t done it since. People will always be unbelieving maggots (which is not quite the word, I’m looking for), and there are better ways to make a difference in life.

7 Likes

It might take some more time, and you will have to show them that you are changed. 2 Corinthians 5:17, “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” It’s amazing what kindness and charity can do to change the heart of another.
Also, praying for them is a big one. Ultimately, they are simply grasping at straws so to speak because they may not like what you are saying. Stick to the scripture. It’s not about you…it’s about Jesus Christ and what He did. And it’s simply what the Bible says, “And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.” Revelations 20:15. Showing and even telling them that you simply care for their soul, and don’t want to see them go to Hell can go a long way.
I will be praying for you!!! Great question!

11 Likes

I once attempted to witness to a fellow who insisted he was not religious. No matter what I said to him, he would reject it and say I was trying to change him. I tried to tell him that I wasn’t, but I’m still not sure if anything I said went home.

5 Likes

Great topic, @jriver!

I don’t reallly have any unique advice, but as much as you’ll hear it, you really just have to witness through your behavior and actions. I can’t drive that home enough.

Actions are always going to speak louder than words, and chances are that whoever you’re witnessing to will be more open to talk about Jesus if they know you’re not going to shove it up their nose. (Metaphorically. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

I once got a girl to talk about her salvation and Christianity in general just by, well. . . being her friend in the first place, and showing her the joy that comes with knowing Jesus Christ as your savior. Some people are already curious about that stuff so it’s easier to talk about, but another great thing to do is pray for them. Pray that they’ll want to know Christ, and pray for yourself to have the patience and words to help them out, too! It’s great that you’re trying to witness. I’m proud of you. :blush:

Also try and keep your replies in one post please okey bai :tiger:

8 Likes

Amen, @WildBlueshine. Jesus said they’ll know us by our love for each other. A life that’s dedicated to loving God and loving others will always be attractive to people. They have to know that you actually care, before they will listen to you.
I know it’s hard, especially when they come back at you that way. I think time and prayer are your best tools here, as Glow said. :heart:

7 Likes

Dr. Tom Williams tells the real story of thex17 year old girl who was Born Again at the Revival.

She told Dr. Williams she had been wicked. She had been involved with gross sin.

Dr. Williams advised her to take her Bible to school and carry it all day.

She came back to the Revival the next night and told Dr. Williams yesterday was the worst day of her life.

The boys @ school made fun of her and said, "we know you! You know and we know what we have done together! Hahaha…do you think you are a good girl now? You are a Sunday School Girl now??! "

Dr. Williams instructed her to go back to school with her Bible. When the boys come around and taunt her, say. “Yes! You know me. You know how wicked I have been. You know what I used to be! But, you are looking at a girl who has been transformed, and made clean, and declared righteous, by the precious blood of Jesus Christ! I am a new creature in Christ!”
"Take notice…I am not hanging around you boys any longer…I love Jesus "

She shut them up

10 Likes

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15
Most people don’t want to acknowledge even the existence of God, but we must tell them of His love for and to them. In love, of course, if you’re not showing the love of Christ, there is no reason for a lost person to listen.

3 Likes

Heyyy, would this apply to witnessing to peeps who claim to be Christians?

1 Like

Would you care to be more specific?

1 Like

Umm… like, kids ya know who claim to be Christians but every time someone turns their back you can’t distinguish them from unbelievers at all.

1 Like

It sounds to me like they want all the benefits of Christian society without any of the responsibilities. The situation needs to be handled delicately or they will certainly walk away from the faith entirely. They may already be far along that road.

You may start asking them why they even bother pretending to be Christians since their behavior would state otherwise.

Colossians 1:10
10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,

We are not saved by good works, but we are saved for good works. Jesus did not die on the cross so we could keep living any way we want.

Romans 6:1-4
What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

Praying a prayer, going to church, or even being baptized doesn’t make you a Christian. What makes you a Christian is evidence of the Holy Spirit in your life. If they don’t have this evidence, they are lying to themselves and those around them.

1 Like

No clue what benefits they want, seeing as they don’t particularly like church, youth group, etc, at least to my knowledge which could very well be lacking.

Yeah, I’ve tried it with one kid about one area, and he essentially blamed it on going to a public school and the video games he plays.

I intended to before the whole quarantine took effect, but decided it prolly wouldn’t end well and was going to go to their parents and my youth group leaders (who happen to be the parents for some of them as well)

I have seen little to no evidence of the Spirit’s work (at least when I’m around them). I kinda (ish) blame myself for not realizing what was happening sooner, seeing as there were plenty of clues and such things I should’ve noticed and brought to attention, but that could just be me.

1 Like

In that case, you’d best treat them as if they had never been Christians at all. First, they must be made aware that there is an absolute moral law and they have failed to keep it. You won’t be able to do this without some serious help from the Holy Spirit so be patient.

His excuses will not save his soul. He must understand that he is in part responsible for his sanctification and being lazy about it will do him no good.

Other forms of communication exist, and a situation like this may best be handled during quarantine while they cannot band together and do their spiritual shirking in company.

Don’t blame yourself for failing to notice. Their spiritual walk is more their responsibility than yours.

1 Like